Stone Garden


I'm looking forward to a new season of potted plants for my apartment. In preparation this week - the terracota pots are dusted off and the stones are rinsed. I have stones and pebbles that I use to mulch the pots. I've had these supplies for many years bought from random gardening hardware stores in the city, quite a few are from a little store in Chinatown. The stones however have had some special additions over the years as I add to the collection with mementos of different places,

Some are from the beaches at Weekapaug where I spent a few years sharing a summer house. The larger ones from Watchill beach. There are some small green stones from Jade Beach on the California Coast- souvenirs of a road trip along Big Sur with a dear friend. They remind me of us singing along to the radio and that motel on a cliff with the Hollyhocks. There are striped and smooth white pebbles that I picked up in Provincetown during the daily mornings ritual on the beach with my dog, Eti. There's a glass bead that was part of a gift, a pebble from Positano and there are a couple of stones from the site of the old brewery in Northern Liberties close to where I lived in Philadelphia. The largest 'stone' isn't really a stone-I made a couple of them- yes made- as sculptural studies of paper maiche covered in encaustic wax- they were a test to develop the bowl you see in the top left hand corner. Its nice to think that my soon to arrive annuals will be planted with these cherished perennials.
Recently:

All Posts: