The Occasional Propagator



I joined the New York City chapter of the Indoor Gardening Society back in May. I went on a lark just to see what it was all about and found myself intrigued. It was a blur of latin names and descriptions of how many feet things were grown from a north east or south facing window. I've been tight lipped about it because, that evening the theme was propagation- I walked out with a plastic bag with six assorted leaves and stems, and a headful of instructions. I didn't want to say anything just in case I killed them all. I can report now that I didn't.

Well, not all of them. I did step on and crush the Streptocarpella Concord Blue which fell out of the bag without me knowing it. I did kill the Phymatosorus scolopendria, frankly I didn't love it anyway. The one I really wanted which wasn't in my bag was an Euphorbia Milii that someone had brought to show. I told the owner how much I liked it and towards the end, she beckoned me over and placed in my hand a thorny two inch stem with a wink.

The instructions for propagating it were different - let it dry out on a paper towel and then pot it, we were told. I did and entirely forgot about it finding it shrivelled a few days later. What the hell, I'll just stick it in a pot. Miraculously a leaf appeared, and now there are three.

The Plectranthus also lived and so did one other unidentified trailing thing but the Episcia Pink Panther pictured above is positively thriving. Yes I can - propagate. I went back in June for favorite plant night where I lusted over a Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow plant that had a wonderful scent and a Begonia Bonfire with beautiful red flowers. Meetings resume in September.
Recently:

All Posts: